what i learned today in high school.

April 9, 2013

Never in a million years would I have ever thought that I'd finish up college only to return to high school. Not ever. And it's not that I didn't love high school when I was younger, but working with high school students at this age has proven to be quite the experience. I feel like I will have stories worth telling for the rest of my life! I'm not kidding when I say it kind of feels like being a part of an audience in a live reality soap opera ... kind of.

The TA's are usually my favorites (I don't care what people say, you will always have favorites) but there is one who I absolutely adore. We'll call him Chase. Chase is just about the sweetest kid on the planet, and walks in every morning with a big smile on his face always asking, "What can I do for you today?" I texted Max this morning and told him if Chase ever need to be adopted into a family (he's not an orphan, but lets just say he was) we would definitely be the first parents in line!

Anyway, today I needed help sorting through papers, and as I was asking some of the students about prom, which is coming up in a couple of weeks, I noticed that when Chase mentioned the girl he had asked, some of the other students looked surprised. In fact, one student even asked, "Why on earth would you take her? She's so weird." Another chimed in agreeing. Chase kept sorting through papers, and shrugged his shoulders responding, "Because. I think she needs a friend."

I don't know who this girl is, but boy was I impressed. It reminded me of a piece of advice I was given a long time ago, "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind."

6 comments:

molly jane said...

Wait. What are you doing in high school?? I love it when kids surprise you in the best of ways. And I am the same way. I never would have dreamed that I'd be back in school. Especially as a teacher!

Brianna said...

this made my heart smile. and made me confident in humanity again (:

Mary said...

Beautiful. I think some parents often forget that being kind is the most important attribute we can try to instill in our kids. Above smart, athletic, ambitious, courageous.... Kind.

Unknown said...

this is so sweet! are you a teacher??

kylee said...

i love this. with a world that seems to be getting worse and worse it's always wonderful to be reminded that there are so many good kids out there.

Brittany said...

Girlfriend. Are you teaching? What's going on? So nosy, I know.

And I agree--kindness is never, never overrated. What a sweet kid. He seems wise beyond his years.

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs