this afternoon and this evening.

April 11, 2011


i spent this afternoon rotating between making two failed batches of cinnamon rolls, talking to my parents on the phone, and sitting on the couch having a much needed life evaluation/discussion.

and then kylie and i sat in bed watching meet me in st. louis and decided instead of jennifer aniston or kate beckinsale, we'd rather look and sing like judy garland.

and a lot of things about today has made me think about a lot of things tonight.

and the only reason i'm up so late thinking about all of this, is because i'm waiting for my hair to dry and that takes a while (like hours) -- so i decided to make the most of this unnecessary amount of time i devote in keeping my hair healthy, and sort out my messy backpack.

i almost threw everything away, except for a pop quiz i found which i forever plan on keeping because of the first question:

on which page did you shed your first tear in 'great expectations'?

yes, this is the professor who gave us the assignment to kiss somebody as if it were the first time; and yes, i most certainly still adore him. when i was given this pop quiz in class, i remember feeling like professor walker must have stolen my book and saw that i had page 53 turned down.

(the part when pip begins to cry and hugs joe around the neck as joe responds: 'ever the best of friends; ain't us pip?')

he must have known page 53 made me cry.

and tonight is just a bunch of thoughts, mostly none of which have anything to do with the other, but that's just what happens when you think a lot.

i keep thinking about the advice my dad passed on to me earlier this afternoon, and the interest my mom always takes in my life - whether or not anything exciting has happened. i think about how much more kylie and i are alike than most people think (including ourselves), especially because we are the only two people i know who clap our hands together during the first kiss in a movie. and naturally, i thought about how much i love professor walker and his class discussions.

all while waiting for my my hair to finish drying.
(i told you it takes hours).

and then i realize i have written too much again, and that all i really wanted to do was get on here and pass on the following quote because i felt like it was worth mentioning:

later she remembered all the hours of the afternoon -- one of those uneventful times that seem at the moment only a link between past and future pleasures, but turn out to have been the pleasure itself.
-f. scott fitzgerald

and for once i don't dread monday morning, because monday morning means tomorrow, and tomorrow means another good day.

and that is all.

8 comments:

Catherine said...

i always love your thoughts and quotes from books and optimism. you are simply lovely. have a great tomorrow :)

Mary said...

Beautiful post.

Emily Meyerhoffer said...

I really wish we were friends...

allie margaret said...

lovely post, i adore it. and what a beautiful monday it is!

Unknown said...

I love this. And I love all your literature quotes and that professor! I want him! Please tell me he's an english professor at BYU.....

Jess Bluth said...

you're AMAZING!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Kelsie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelsie said...

Emmakaren - Yessss! He teaches at BYU! His name is Steven Walker and he teaches British Lit (and the Bible as Literature) -- kind of hesitant to take his other class because it sounds a little intense - but I promise you will not regret taking British Lit from him. He is the only reason why I'm sad for the semester to end!

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs