a few more book recommendations

August 5, 2014

Last I checked, I'm about 23 books behind schedule of reading 100 books this year. 23! We tried making Wednesday nights our Barnes & Noble night, but because of some exciting job opportunities this summer, I've been a little bit slammed and haven't found as much time to catch up on reading... So for now, I'm shooting for 75 (fingers crossed :)

Below are a few of the books I've read over the last little while that I've loved/liked/meh/etc:

Where'd You Go Bernadette - Oh my gosh, I loved this book. I loved, absolutely loved Bernadette! She's one of my newest favorite fictional characters. The author, Maria Semple, is hilarious - so funny that I looked her up online and found out she has written for shows like Arrested Development and Ellen DeGeneres. Read it!

Killing Kennedy - I had heard so much about the Killing Lincoln, Killing Jesus, and Killing Kennedy books written by Bill O'Reilly that I couldn't ignore it anymore, so I picked up Killing Kennedy first and thought it was fantastic. It's not necessarily any new or "breaking news" information but it was riveting to say the least. Has anyone watched some (or all) of The Sixties documentary on CNN? What a fascinating time and turning point in history.

I Am Malala - One word: Wow. What a story. I thought about it for weeks after I finished; it's hard to imagine living in a world where women's education/and Christianity are not allowed - and that fighting for those rights means risking your life. What an inspirational young woman, it's hard to believe she is barely 17.

FanGirl - Okay, so I admittedly skipped over most of the actual fanfiction part of the story - even though the 12 year old Kelsie could sadly relate to all of it in a way. Mostly though, I enjoyed the love story between Cath and Levi, and the complicated but unconditional loving relationships between Cath and her family. It felt real and heart-warming and was just a feel-good book.

Eleanor & Park - Considering how much I enjoyed FanGirl and Rainbow Rowell's writing, I was disappointed with this one.  Not my favorite.

Ghost Soldiers - I picked this book up in particular after Goodreads had "recommended" it once I finished reading Unbroken (have you seen the new trailer??), so I think I may have set my expectations a little high. Regardless, it is still an incredible story of those who survived the Bataan Death March, and it truly opens your eyes to some of the horrors of war. I finished it within just a few days.

The Things They Carried - Whatever you do, read. this. book. I've never read anything about the Vietnam War because everything surrounding the Holocaust and WWII has grabbed my attention first, but this is easily one of the best books I have ever read. Absolutely incredible.

(and if you need any recommendations on MCAT prep books, you can always ask Max ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ahh thank you for this list! i began reading where'd you go bernadette & for some reason stopped, i guess i'll have to start it up again! & i saw elanor & park at the book store the other week & was sooo interested but already had a pile of books, so i'll be getting that when i'm home!
have you read the language of flowers? i just read it & loved it. if you need a book, i recommend it :)

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs