a little bit of my bucket list.

April 24, 2011


I started compiling a list of things I wanted to do before I die my freshman year of high school,
(which is why at age 15 I included "go clubbing" and "wear leg warmers"... really kelsie?)
Since then, however, the list has grown to over 14 pages long, and thankfully, it's a little bit more ambitious as well.

And just a few months ago, I came across the following quote:

It takes just as long to be great as it does to be mediocre.

I don't know who said it, and I don't know where I read it, but I swear that it was as inspiring as meeting Mahatma Gandhi or Diane Sawyer. Like fireworks exploded.
(and okay, maybe that's pushing it...) but reading that made me realize that it takes just as much time to actually do something, as it does to not do something... if that makes sense.

I initially thought a lot about this ongoing bucket list of mine when I read the quote above, and I started to think a lot about what I really wanted to do as well. And as much as I'd love to drive the Autobahn or own a pet monkey (again, think: age 15) - I narrowed in on some of the things that were 1. financially possible and 2. actually feasible.

And just so you know, running has equaled death in my book for most of my life. But just like the rest of the world, that didn't mean I didn't include "run a marathon" on my own to do before I die list.

So after a combination of the quote above, a new pair of running shoes, a whopping $80 dollar registration fee, (and after several months of training so far), I just registered for my first-ever marathon in St.G this upcoming October. And I can hardly contain my excitement.

In fact, I'd even go as far as to say...
that this has all been more exciting (and rewarding) than wearing leg warmers, owning a pet monkey, and eating a whole bag of marshmallows (yes, that's #23 on the list) ... alllll combined.

6 comments:

kylee said...

you live my life. running is death. so of course i put run a half marathon and perhaps a full on my bucket list. at least you're pursuing your dream. perhaps i should run tomorrow morning. good luck girl!

Jess Cole said...

Love the act that you have gone from running equals death, to preparing to run a marathon! Awesome work!
Love the photo of your list too! Good luck with finishing more! And have fun at the marathon!

allie margaret said...

That is SO awesome! Good for you. Run a marathon is on my bucket list as well and I've actually ALSO been considering training for one this summer to do in the fall. Perhaps you have inspired me...

allie

Andrea Stevenson said...

That list is amazing! Wow, you're amazing! Love your blog!

pics-o-andrea

Jodie said...

You're so inspiring, Kelsie. I almost always leave here with some new idea, goal, or smile.

kyliebrooke|s said...

wow good for you! a marathon is seriously the hardest thing i think a human could do - you'll be brilliant!

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs