how i feel today.

January 18, 2011


My skin is kind of sort of brownish
Pinkish yellowish white.
My eyes are grayish blueish green,
But I'm told they look orange in the night.
My hair is reddish blondish brown,
But it's silver when it's wet.
And all the colors I am inside
Have not been invented yet.
-Shel Silverstein



Being able to pick up a few more English classes for my minor this semester, I've rediscovered my love for poetry. Ode: Intimations of Immortality by Wordsworth has been my most recent favorite, but today my professor recited the poem above, and I was reminded of my love for Shel Silverstein, and how I can sometimes most easily relate to the simple way in which he says things. I may be a senior in college, and I should now consider Keats, Blake and Browning some of the best by piling my bookshelves high with their Romantic literature, but Where the Sidewalk Ends will forever remain one of my favorites.

10 comments:

Jodie said...

I love that poem! I've never heard it before, but it's really great.

Mandy said...

I like Shel too. But no one beats Anne Sexton.

Katie said...

I love that poem! It's one of my favorites :)

Kelsie said...

Correction Mandy - no one beats ee cummings :) haha. But then Anne Sexton can be next I guess. And then Shel Silverstein.

PS. Went back to Victoria Secret 2x after I ran into you there on Friday night. Best sale ever!

Safe in the Steep Cliffs said...

i never understood poetry but i always envied people that knew and could relate to it. i think it's a beautiful form of art.

Jacob said...

shel silverstein always seems to hit the spot. and ummm girlfriend, i do believe we are FAR overdue!
loves!

Jacob said...

shel silverstein always seems to hit the spot. and ummm girlfriend, i do believe we are FAR overdue!
loves!

kellichristinecase said...

DIT-TO girlfriend! i love me some shel silverstein.

Unknown said...

i've never read that poem before but i just fell in love with it. thank you!

becky said...

i love shel silverstein. my dad bought me all of his books and i was raised on them! i have a mini spaz everytime i find out someone else loves him as much as i do :)

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs